Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Week 6 Story Planning Post: The Hermits

For this week I read The Story of the Man Who Did Not Wish to Die by Yei Theodora Ozaki from Japanese Fairy Tales

-This story starts off by a man Sentaro whose name means millionaire, has no care in the world because he inherited an amount of money so he does not worry about a job or anything else
LOL this would be the freaking life! I could make his name something cool like Sintario so it includes the word SIN, just a fun idea!
-He wanted to live for a very long time and so he was going to live frugal.
Yeah right...
-He went on a hunt to find some hermits who had Elixir of Life
How did these hermits get the Elixir of life? They could have gotten it from an old witch or have stolen it and that is why they are hermits, as they have to hide from the cops! I could write it from one of their points of view.

-Nobody would tell him where to find this Elixir of life and so he went to a shrine and prayed for 7 days
-

Hermits Caves in England Source
I would like to focus on these hermits with a Elixir of Life and talk about how they got it in the first place
Again I would like to mayeb make it so they got it from somewhere cool, but they are also not hardly living because they have to hide and this could create a problem for some of the members of the group. Like they wish they had never stolen it and just want to grow old and die.
-Maybe they could be super old too, but look very young and be kept in a cool basement or something in hiding
-Ohhh maybe I could do a story of the town he goes to where nobody ever dies! That would be cool to tell of the people who live there!
This would be a fun one to expand on as I could create a Utopia and it could be full of cool creatures and fun things, except that all of the people who reside there are at least like 200 years old! This could be fun although it would be more difficult to make into a story that twists back into the original one!
I think the best way to go for me is to write from the point of view of the hermits, where they got the Elixir of life, How they stole it, and where they hide now and how hard their life is because they are in hiding!

3 comments:

  1. I thought about reading an old Japanese tale as well. I think it's interesting that you chose this one in particular and did a story-planning. Your thought process is really fun and neat!
    I like the idea of how you want to incorporate how the Elixirs were founded by the hermits and I think elaborating on the origin of the Elixirs (as in how it came to be in the beginning). Though in a short way, which could be difficult. I don't think it'd be a terrible idea to involve many creatures and creating somewhat of a Utopia, reminds me of Halloweentown! I doubt you would stray from the original, but there's nothing wrong with giving it the twist that it needs to make it your own! Good luck in writing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story sounds interesting. You should go for it--I like your idea to focus on the hermits/immortal townsfolk. It sounds like the story you could end up writing would be very existential. The hermits/townsfolk could talk about the nature of life and death. Maybe the Elixir of Life is unnatural?

    Sounds cool--if you do end up writing it, I'll be sure to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I’m a little sad that you never gave this story life. When I saw this planning post, I was hoping to see the final product. This is a fun idea and I think it has potential. I love your idea of writing the story from the point of view of the hermits. I’m imagining this whole fairytale feel to the story already and it doesn’t even exist. HAHA. You could write it from kind of one of the hermit’s point of view but there could also be a legend about the theft of the elixir and you could write pieces of it as if they are excerpts from the legend, then blend in what the hermit’s thoughts and feelings and current status are…OH, the potential with this is incredible!! I’ve like created this whole thing in my head for you already. Lol.

    ReplyDelete