Saturday, January 28, 2017

Feedback Thoughts

Self Doubt Source
For this assignment on getting feedback, I read Silence the Critical Voices in your Head, I read this in hopes that I would figure out how to get my own self-doubt out of my head. This posts focuses on the positives of criticism and not getting too hung up on the small details of the negative. This is hard for me because I tend to focus exactly on what I'm not supposed to- the negative. I will pick things out that people have said, even in a compliment, and twist it into a negative. I also read Why rejection hurts so much-and what to do about it as a way to figure out why I pull out the negative in a positive comment. After reading about my own critical voices it was good to read about things I can do to help my feeling of rejection that comes after the criticism. I know when other students give me feedback that may upset me I need to reach out to others who bring me joy and that I bring joy too as well. I know that criticism will only help me in the future and I need to not get offended or upset over it! In terms of giving feedback, I read Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset, this article was especially helpful for me when it said to "Focus on what the reader is doing (not what is missing)". I know that when I give feedback I have a tendency to say things like "I wish this had been included" when I should praise them on what they did do and as the article said,  " A mirror cannot reflect back what is not there". The final article I read over giving feedback was 7 Key Characteristics of Better Learning Feedback and I found this article to be my favorite. This is because it was straightforward and being a blunt person myself I found it easier to track and get hints of what good feedback should consist of. I know I never want to come off as rude or as too nice to where it isnt helpful and this article helped me realize how I can accomplish this! I look forward to reading and giving feedback to my peers, as I know they will do with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment