Sunday, January 22, 2017

Growth Mindset

Hello there!
Carol Dweck and her idea on growth mindset is not actually new to me! Last semester in my math class I was given some assignments about researching her and the growth mindset topic. I found it interesting as I am definitely in the fixed mindset, I have been ever since I can remember. My parents still bring up to this day a time when my kindergarten teacher called them and set up a meeting. In this meeting my teacher expressed concern because whenever I was given instruction I would say without hesitation, "I can't". I would not even try to accomplish whatever the task was, I would just sit at my desk and say that I couldn't do it. In this specific instance it was that I could cut out a circle with a pair of scissors.
What I imagine I looked like attempting to cut a circle Source
Knowing this I have really had to push myself to not get frustrated when I had to do a new challenging task. I have always struggled with math and would go into the classes just hoping for a C. I would spend hours getting so mad to the point of tears when I couldn't figure a problem out. I did not enjoy the challenge and instead I feared it. To this day I have to force myself to go into my classes with a positive outlook and to not start out with a negative opinion. Freshman year at OU I had difficulty getting the motivation to work on my classes and studying because I "didn't care" about the material and thought why should I do it if I am not interested in it? It has taken me a lot of discipline and time management skills, but I have come along was from not studying to multiple 4.0's. This semester I hope to achieve another 4.0 along with being better overall about being excited to learn! Being the second semester of senior year I have a hard time keeping up my motivation! I know I can do it though and make the best out of this semester!
-Molly

2 comments:

  1. Hi again, Molly! I think it’s great you had already heard of Carol Dweck and her Growth Mindset before this class. I had, too, except mine was from a tutoring training at OU. I think what Carol Dweck has to say is amazing. I think all too many of us only focus on the finished product and not enough on the process of getting to it. I also think that praising for a job well done really starts at youth. We must change the way we praise children and their accomplishments. For soon all we will have is a bunch of people who just want to get everything done perfectly and will lose sight of how to do it correctly and will stop trying so hard because they don’t understand the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly!
    I think that is super smart and wise of you to create a post about a positive attitude. If I have learned one thing over the years it would be that your outlook on life really does affect the way you react to certain things. I will take my positive attitude I feel after reading this post and apply it to my life!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete